Search

Days Gone By: A bird’s eye view of how our towns and villages have changed

PUBLISHED: 09:42 13 September 2017 | UPDATED: 09:59 13 September 2017

July 1967.  Felixstowe Ferry and Bawdsey at the mouth of the River Deben. The beach area in front of the sailing club has been considerably eroded since this photograph was taken half a century ago. Picture: JOHN KERR

July 1967. Felixstowe Ferry and Bawdsey at the mouth of the River Deben. The beach area in front of the sailing club has been considerably eroded since this photograph was taken half a century ago. Picture: JOHN KERR

Archant

Aerial photographs give a fascinating view of our towns and villages. Many changes are recorded in these views, writes David Kindred,

July 1967. The Felixstowe Ferry Sailing Club has a large area of beach between it and the mouth of the River Deben. Picture: JOHN KERR July 1967. The Felixstowe Ferry Sailing Club has a large area of beach between it and the mouth of the River Deben. Picture: JOHN KERR

The erosion at Felixstowe Ferry is shown in the two photographs taken in 1964, when the sailing club was far enough from the river for events to take place on the beach in front of the club.

When the photographs were taken dozens of sailing boats were stored there.

In Ipswich the landmark, Cliff Quay Power Station, has gone and the industrial area around what was Commercial Road has been replaced with Cardinal Park.

Since a 1970s photograph was taken over Woodbridge a road has been built taking traffic away from the town centre.

March 1994. Ipswich from over Felixstowe Road. The junction with Clapgate Lane and Bishops Hill is bottom left. The building top centre was formally opened as the Civic College by the Queen in 1961, this is now the site of the Suffolk New College. Part of the Waterfront is top left. Rosehill Road is in the foreground. Picture: DAVID KINDRED March 1994. Ipswich from over Felixstowe Road. The junction with Clapgate Lane and Bishops Hill is bottom left. The building top centre was formally opened as the Civic College by the Queen in 1961, this is now the site of the Suffolk New College. Part of the Waterfront is top left. Rosehill Road is in the foreground. Picture: DAVID KINDRED

What changes can you see in these photographs?

Write to David Kindred, Days Gone By, Ipswich Star/EADT, Portman House, 120 Princes Street, Ipswich, IP1 1RS or send an e-mail.

Ipswich 1991. The Cox Lane car park area of Ipswich with Majors Corner and Carr Street bottom right. St Michaels Church (bottom left) in Upper Orwell Street, built in the 1880s, was severely damaged by fire in March 2011. St Pancras Church is left of centre with Christ Church close to the centre of the picture. The Earl Roberts public house in Cox Lane (centre) closed in 1998 and was demolished. The large complex of buildings (bottom right) were Co-op and Woolworth stores in Carr Street when this picture was taken. Picture: OWEN HINES Ipswich 1991. The Cox Lane car park area of Ipswich with Majors Corner and Carr Street bottom right. St Michaels Church (bottom left) in Upper Orwell Street, built in the 1880s, was severely damaged by fire in March 2011. St Pancras Church is left of centre with Christ Church close to the centre of the picture. The Earl Roberts public house in Cox Lane (centre) closed in 1998 and was demolished. The large complex of buildings (bottom right) were Co-op and Woolworth stores in Carr Street when this picture was taken. Picture: OWEN HINES

July 1967. Felixstowe Dock with the original basin in the centre. Work to excavate the dock basin began in November 1881, it was delayed when the contractors became insolvent. Work started again in 1883 and the basin was refilled in 2009. The area is now part of berths eight and nine, which opened in 2011. Picture: JOHN KERR July 1967. Felixstowe Dock with the original basin in the centre. Work to excavate the dock basin began in November 1881, it was delayed when the contractors became insolvent. Work started again in 1883 and the basin was refilled in 2009. The area is now part of berths eight and nine, which opened in 2011. Picture: JOHN KERR

The Gainsborough and Greenwich housing estates, Ipswich, from over Landseer Road (across the bottom right corner). Cliff Quay power Station is in the background, which was brought into operation between 1949 and 1952 and closed in 1985. Demolition was in 1994. The three huge chimneys were brought down by explosives on November 27, 1994, watched by thousands from every vantage point. All Hallows Church, Landseer Road, is right centre. Picture: DAVID KINDRED The Gainsborough and Greenwich housing estates, Ipswich, from over Landseer Road (across the bottom right corner). Cliff Quay power Station is in the background, which was brought into operation between 1949 and 1952 and closed in 1985. Demolition was in 1994. The three huge chimneys were brought down by explosives on November 27, 1994, watched by thousands from every vantage point. All Hallows Church, Landseer Road, is right centre. Picture: DAVID KINDRED

1970s. Woodbridge from over the River Deben with the rail line across the bottom of the picture. Quay Street and Church Street are on the left. The road taking traffic round Elmhurst Park had not then been built. St Johns Church is top centre. Picture: JIM EMPSON 1970s. Woodbridge from over the River Deben with the rail line across the bottom of the picture. Quay Street and Church Street are on the left. The road taking traffic round Elmhurst Park had not then been built. St Johns Church is top centre. Picture: JIM EMPSON

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Sudbury Mercury visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Sudbury Mercury staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Sudbury Mercury account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Other popular content

Yesterday, 23:16

Two teenagers waved to passengers on a rail platform as they clung on to a train underneath overhead electricity cables in Essex, a court heard.

Yesterday, 22:45

Minnie Moll, joint chief executive of the East of England Co-op, is one of the region’s most influential business leaders. As she is named as the new ambassador of sexual abuse charity Fresh Start – New Beginnings, she reveals her own story of childhood abuse, in her own words:

Yesterday, 21:15

More than 100 firearms have been handed in to Essex Police so far in a crackdown on gun ownership.

Yesterday, 20:53

It it widely predicted that over the coming decades we will see more robots enter the workplace, as developments in areas such as artificial intelligence and automation make these technologies increasingly commonplace.

Show Job Lists

Local weather

Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 11°C

min temp: 11°C

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24