Search

Harpist denies sexual assault on schoolboy – and says she was victim

PUBLISHED: 17:00 16 January 2018

Harpist Danielle Perrett outside Ipswich Crown Court, where she is facing allegations of indecent assault, alongside Richard Barton-Wood. Picture: STEFAN ROUSSEAU/PA WIRE

Harpist Danielle Perrett outside Ipswich Crown Court, where she is facing allegations of indecent assault, alongside Richard Barton-Wood. Picture: STEFAN ROUSSEAU/PA WIRE

A world-renowned Suffolk harpist accused of taking the virginity of a schoolboy more than three decades ago told police the teenager had sexually assaulted her, a court has heard.

Richard Barton-Wood outside Ipswich Crown Court. Picture: STEFAN ROUSSEAU/PA WIRERichard Barton-Wood outside Ipswich Crown Court. Picture: STEFAN ROUSSEAU/PA WIRE

During police interviews read to a jury at Ipswich Crown Court Danielle Perrett denied sexually assaulting the teenager after allegedly getting into bed with him at her London flat and claimed he had “tried it on with her” while she was in the shower.

Perrett, who has played for The Queen and several prime ministers, claimed that she “froze in shock” after the alleged victim came into the shower and held her arms while pushing his groin against her in an unsuccessful attempt to have sex with her.

She told police she had been crying and telling him to stop during the alleged incident and hadn’t reported what happened to the police because she couldn’t face giving evidence in a trial.

She described the allegations made against her as “lies” and told police she had never liked the alleged victim who she described as “devious, scheming and untrustworthy”.

She said that when he contacted her around 20 years after staying at her flat she thought he was thinking of trying to blackmail her.

She denied ever having an interest in teenage boys and said she wasn’t a paedophile.

She told police she had been angry when Richard Barton-Wood, who was her partner at the time, turned up at her flat with the boy and said she hadn’t been aware of Barton-Wood sexually assaulting him during the visit.

Perrett, 59, of Bridge Street, Alpheton, has denied eight offences of indecent assault.

Barton-Wood, 68, of Church Street, Wymondham, Norfolk, has denied six offences of indecent assault, one of attempted buggery and one of attempted indecent assault in relation to the same alleged victim.

The allegations date back to the 1980s.

William Carter, prosecuting, has claimed the alleged victim of the offences was sexually assaulted by Barton-Wood on his boat which he kept at Pin Mill and at a house in Debenham.

Following his arrest Barton-Wood denied having any sexual contact with the alleged victim.

Both Barton-Wood and Perrett told police that when the alleged victim contacted them several years after the visit to Perrett’s London flat they thought he was going to blackmail them.

The trial continues.

Other popular content

The sale of household coal could be phased out and wet wood sales restricted in a bid to cut down on pollution from people lighting fireplaces in their homes.

The eighth annual One Big Multicultural Festival will be held on Sunday September 2 in Ipswich’s Alexandra Park.

47 minutes ago

An army veteran from Colchester who lost both legs in a bomb blast in Afghanistan has become an ambassador for an independent road safety charity.

Celebrity chef and TV presenter Rosemary Shrager will headline the cookery demonstrations at this year’s Newmarket Food and Drink Festival.

Show Job Lists

Local weather

Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 21°C

min temp: 17°C

Newsletter Sign Up

Sudbury Mercury weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

MyDate24 MyPhotos24