Blooming marvels – remembering flower shows around Suffolk
- Credit: John Kerr/Archant
Flower shows are among East Anglia’s most popular events – celebrating our area’s rich horticultural heritage.
Today, we are looking back at some of Suffolk’s floral events over the years - with all kinds of colourful blooms taking centre stage, together with prize fruit and veg.
Benhall, near Saxmundham, has regularly staged a popular flower show and fete over the years.
The first-ever Benhall and Sternfield Memorial Flower Show was held in 1946, welcoming home members of the Armed Forces.
The event was cancelled last year because of Covid-19, but hopes to mark its 75th anniversary this summer.
You may also want to watch:
Also featured in our Days Gone By gallery are Felixstowe’s Fuchsia Show and events in Ipswich, Grundisburgh and Knodishall.
Do these photos bring back memories? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
To order photos, visit our website or call Diane Townsend on 01603 772449.
- 1 We have enough trains, says Greater Anglia
- 2 Concern over missing Suffolk teenager
- 3 Motorcycle and van involved in crash on A134
- 4 First lockdown restrictions lifted today - what can you do now?
- 5 Memories of darts matches and marathons around Suffolk
- 6 Covid-19 infections continue to fall across Suffolk and north Essex
- 7 New police software allows fingerprint checks on the street
- 8 Residents demand answers as new footbridge closed with no explanation
- 9 11ft sinkhole opens up off Hadleigh footpath at old mill race
- 10 Green leader at Suffolk County Council stepping down from May