Blooming marvels – remembering flower shows around Suffolk
- Credit: John Kerr/Archant
Flower shows are among East Anglia’s most popular events – celebrating our area’s rich horticultural heritage.
Today, we are looking back at some of Suffolk’s floral events over the years - with all kinds of colourful blooms taking centre stage, together with prize fruit and veg.
Benhall, near Saxmundham, has regularly staged a popular flower show and fete over the years.
The first-ever Benhall and Sternfield Memorial Flower Show was held in 1946, welcoming home members of the Armed Forces.
The event was cancelled last year because of Covid-19, but hopes to mark its 75th anniversary this summer.
You may also want to watch:
Also featured in our Days Gone By gallery are Felixstowe’s Fuchsia Show and events in Ipswich, Grundisburgh and Knodishall.
Do these photos bring back memories? Email email@example.com
To order photos, visit our website or call Diane Townsend on 01603 772449.
- 1 Covid Support Buddies launch to tackle loneliness and give support
- 2 Russell Watson to return to Lavenham church for 'special' Christmas show
- 3 Football club's £750k new clubhouse to act as 'community hub' for village
- 4 All Covid rapid testing centres in Suffolk are shutting down
- 5 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 6 Teenage boys arrested in connection with charity clothes bank fire
- 7 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 8 Hotel chain expecting 'record-breaking summer' ahead of reopening
- 9 Suffolk bus service improvements plan outlined by council
- 10 Wet weather expected in Suffolk for second weekend in a row