Nostalgia: Did you ever attend a Suffolk festival of sport?
- Credit: Owen Hines
The Olympic Games may have come to a dramatic close on Sunday – but how could we forget some of Suffolk's festivals of sport?
The sporting games were held each year around the county, giving some of Suffolk's youngsters and veterans alike the chance to try a variety of sports while learning what local clubs had to offer.
Popular sports included football, fencing and kickboxing – and even included the exhilarating motoball, a game of football on motorcycles.
Among some of the biggest events was the Ipswich Festival of Sport in 1978 – the same year Town fans went crazy with the club's historic FA Cup win.
Other events on the sporting calendar included sporting festivals in Sudbury and Bury St Edmunds, as well as over the border in Mistley.
All eyes now turn to the Paralympic Games, starting in Tokyo on Tuesday, August 24.
If you would like to order photos, visit our website or call Diane Townsend on 01603 772449.
- 1 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 2 World War Two-themed holiday accommodation plans at former airfield
- 3 Police called to anti-vaccine demonstration at Suffolk pharmacy
- 4 9 forgotten pubs that were at the heart of their Suffolk towns
- 5 'Two suspicious individuals' spotted on primary school roof
- 6 Husband's tribute to passionate Town fan Joy Hood
- 7 Fare dodgers and fraudsters pay £4m to Greater Anglia in 2021
- 8 Nearly 30% drop in Suffolk dentists taking NHS work
- 9 Nurseries, pre-schools and primaries see Covid rate rises
- 10 How are England's Covid restrictions changing after Plan B?