New signage unveiled following renaming of Black Boy pub in Bury
- Credit: Archant
A popular Bury St Edmunds pub has unveiled its new signage following a name change due to "racist connotations".
The former Black Boy pub in Guildhall Street is now known as the Westgate after winning a public vote launched by brewery giant Greene King in February last year.
The Bury-based brewer announced in January 2021 that it would be renaming three pubs called the Black Boy and one called the Blacks Head because of the racist connotations of the names.
Speaking at the time, Wayne Shurvinton, Greene King managing director, said: "Despite the obscure origins of the pubs’ previous names, from the research we carried out it was clear that there was a perception today that the old names were linked with racism, which is why we knew we had to take this step if we wanted to continue on our journey to become a truly anti-racist organisation."
A total of 73% of the 3,540 people who voted plumped for the Westgate, with the Thomas Clarkson finishing as runner-up with 18% of the vote.
The Abbot finished third with 5% of the vote, while the Saint Edmund finished last (4%).
The new Westgate signage was unveiled on Monday and has received a mixed response on social media.
Some people have applauded Greene King for the company's decision, while others have voiced their displeasure at the name change.
- 1 Police attending 'incident' near town centre
- 2 Residents 'disgusted' after furniture dumped in Suffolk playpark
- 3 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 4 Four-day weather warning for extreme heat in Suffolk
- 5 Travellers pitch up on playing field near Sudbury
- 6 Search for missing man who planned 70-mile walk home still ongoing
- 7 Field fire breaks out in acre of land near Sudbury
- 8 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 9 Ipswich Witches ring the changes.... two riders out, two riders in
- 10 Post office staff threatened during west Suffolk robbery
A spokesman for Greene King said: "We’re pleased to have completed the name change of the pub, which followed a public vote last year on a range of new options and saw The Westgate win 73% of the vote.
"We're looking forward to this next chapter in The Westgate’s history."
The Black Boy in Sudbury has also changed its name to the Lady Elizabeth after it secured 43% of the three-option vote.
The Market Inn finished second in the Sudbury vote (39%), with the Coach and Horses receiving 18%.
The new signage at the Sudbury pub was put up in November last year.
The two other pubs to change their names were the Black Boy in Shinfield, near Reading, which is now the the Shinfield Arms, and the Blacks Head, in Wirksworth, Derbyshire, which has become the Quarryman.