Threat to Suffolk sites as Prezzo announces closures
- Credit: SARAH LUCY BROWN
Prezzo restaurants around Suffolk are under threat after the chain announced it is planning to axe 22 sites and cut 216 jobs.
The Italian restaurant chain, which is in administration, has sites in Stowmarket, Woodbridge, Bury St Edmunds, Ipswich, Aldeburgh and Felixstowe.
All of Prezzo's restaurants are currently closed to diners due to the coronavirus lockdown, but some are continuing to offer takeaway and delivery.
Cain International, which only bought the chain in December, has bought it back from administrators in a pre-pack deal to secure its future.
The owner said the action protects the vast majority of Prezzo’s 2,900 team members’ jobs. It has not named the sites that will close.
Prezzo’s restaurants had been able to operate for just 25 weeks out of the past 52 weeks but has seen fixed costs and rent accumulate, Cain International said.
It is understood that the company filed for insolvency after failing to reach an agreement with landlords over rent payments.
- 1 Government plans at-home tablet to 'stop the virus in its tracks'
- 2 Helen McCrory was 'a meteor in our life' says husband Damian Lewis
- 3 Jailed in Suffolk: Why these criminals were put behind bars this week
- 4 Petition launched to fight planned sale of land at Belle Vue House and former pool
- 5 George Burley: Ipswich fans' dreams would have been shattered by a European Super League
- 6 Woman, 18, hit in the face and pushed during attempted street robbery
- 7 The 20 places in Suffolk that recorded the most coronavirus cases this week
- 8 Cannabis plants worth £100,000 seized from Suffolk house
- 9 Council forced to scrap new cab fares which 'inadvertently enable discrimination'
- 10 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
Jonathan Goldstein, chief executive of Cain, said: “We firmly believe that strong hospitality businesses, such as Prezzo, have a bright future and will play an essential role in reviving the UK economy.
“However, to do so, we must get through this current crisis of mounting liabilities and no revenues.
“The lack of visibility on when and how the sector will reopen has heightened economic uncertainty to the point where decisive action had to be taken to secure the future of the business and the majority of jobs for Prezzo’s people.
“We are deeply sorry for all those affected by the permanent closure of the 22 non-viable restaurants.
“It was a difficult, but essential, decision to take but doing so will allow us to save thousands of jobs and create more in the future.”
Earlier this week, Sky News reported the owner was exploring options to secure its future, including a potential insolvency, with advisors at FTI consulting.
In December, Prezzo was sold to Cain as a going concern by previous private equity owners TPG after it was among casual dining chains battered by the pandemic.
The value of the sale was not disclosed but came six years after TPG bought the chain for more than £300 million.