Outline approval agreed for 130 homes in Chilton Woods
PUBLISHED: 17:48 13 June 2018 | UPDATED: 17:48 13 June 2018
Controversial plans to build 130 homes on land by Chilton Woods near Sudbury have been approved – despite existing approvals already exceeding the number laid out in the masterplan.
Planning permission has already been granted to Suffolk County Council to build up to 1,150 homes – 100 more than the masterplan for the site laid out.
The latest application, submitted by Catesby Estates Ltd, was outline planning for up to 130 homes.
The matter was due to be heard last month, but a late legal representation of alleged policy breaches was submitted, causing the matter to be deferred.
During Monday afternoon’s Babergh planning committee, members voted 10-4 in favour of allowing planners to approve the outline plans once the necessary contributions for highways, schools and other services had been agreed.
Edward Barrett from Catesby said that significant amendments had been made following feedback from consultees, and said there was “not a wave of objections that would make us think this is not an acceptable proposal.”
Mr Barrett said that attempts were made to engage the parish council in discussions, as well as having written to all residents, but parish councillors who made representations against the plan said that no approach had been made and some homes did not receive letters.
The parish council also expressed disappointment that requests to extend the three minute speaking period were denied.
Planning officers said that the council could not demonstrate a sufficient five-year housing supply, and that the benefits of the scheme outweighed the harm to nearby heritage assets.
Differing views were also voiced by those making representations and committee members as to whether the proposed access road from Waldingfield Road was a dangerous route.
Frank Lawrenson, Conservative councillor for the Waldingfield ward spoke against the application, and said that the planning policy in the local plan for the site to have 1,050 homes was “consulted so heavily and now we want to go back on that. I don’t believe that’s right.”
The county council is working to identify developers who can deliver its portion of the Chilton Woods development.