World Book Day celebrations - children get all dressed up
- Credit: Beth Nial
Are your children celebrating World Book Day today? Our gallery gives a taste of some of the costumes.
Although lockdown means that most children won't go back to the classroom until next week, the occasion is still being marked in style by schools and families around Suffolk and Essex.
Many pupils who are currently in school, including children of key workers, have gone in dressed up as favourite characters, while others are joining in the fun virtually from home.
Some schools have also organised special activities - for instance pupils at Tollgate Primary School, in Bury St Edmunds, started the celebrations early with a virtual storytelling event.
You may also want to watch:
Students at Felixstowe School enjoyed a range of literacy-inspired activities, including online sessions with guest authors and a book review competition.
Darren Meitner-Harvey, assistant headteacher, said: “While it is a little different this year, World Book Day 2021 is perhaps more important than ever.
- 1 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: Why these criminals were put behind bars this week
- 3 Key blueprint for 17,000 new Suffolk homes to be examined
- 4 Why are 3,500 homes stood empty in Suffolk?
- 5 12 places to eat and drink under a tipi in Suffolk and north Essex
- 6 The 20 places in Suffolk that recorded the most coronavirus cases this week
- 7 Warning to drinkers ahead of first weekend of pub gardens reopening
- 8 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 9 Cannabis plants worth £100,000 seized from Suffolk house
- 10 Sergeant reveals what's in store for new TV show with Suffolk police team
“Our students have been amazing during lockdown, but we know everyone has spent a lot of time staring at screens. Our responsibility is to ensure there is a book in the hands of every young person.”
And West End stars are bringing books to life for pupils at Leiston Primary School via a series of online readings.
Are your children celebrating World Book Day? Send your photos to firstname.lastname@example.org - please remember to say your child's name and the character they are portraying.