Fire crews from Suffolk and Essex tackle Leavenheath barn blaze
PUBLISHED: 18:48 27 June 2018 | UPDATED: 08:19 28 June 2018
The quick action of a farmer and firefighters managed to stop a blaze at a large barn on the Suffolk/Essex border from spreading to other properties.
Crews from Suffolk and Essex were called to Nayland Hall Farm, in Cock Street, Leavenheath, just after 5.30am on Wednesday, and found hay and farm machinery in a barn well alight.
Six fire vehicles and crews from Woodbridge, Hadleigh, Sudbury, Long Melford, Colchester, Nayland, and Newmarket all attended the blaze.
No-one was injured in the incident.
Firefighters believe the fire started in the barn, which is approximately 35x15 metres, and the incident is not being treated as suspicious.
Crews remained at the incident all day yesterday, with firefighters keeping a watching brief until the evening.
Speaking to the EADT yesterday, Kevin Oxford, station commander for Ipswich, said when firefighters arrived, there was a risk of the blaze spreading to an adjoining workshop.
He said: “Crews from both Suffolk and Essex attended the scene and on arrival found hay and farm machinery alight.
“With the assistance of the farmer and his teleporter, and with the actions of our firefighters, we were able to prevent any further spread to any adjoining buildings by making a break.
“Due to the action of the farmer’s teleporter, the damage to the farm machinery was limited.
“Crews remained at the scene throughout the day and kept a watching brief during the evening.”
Mr Oxford said it was “not uncommon” to see farm and barn fires at this time of year.
Recent soaring temperatures and continuing dry conditions pose a risk to countryside, threatening crops and equipment.
“Into the summer months, we can see field fires, barn fires and farm equipment incidents,” he said.
“I would say it’s not uncommon in the hotter weather.
“In general terms, during a hot period, we would remind people to avoid using naked flames in the countryside.”
Other dry conditions advice from the fire service includes: “Do not discard cigarettes in the countryside, do not leave glass items around after a picnic or barbecue, and put all litter in the bin.”