Residents demand answers as new footbridge closed with no explanation
- Credit: Sarah Lucy Brown
A new footbridge which only opened in Hadleigh last summer has been closed for more than four months, leaving the town and a council frustrated.
Residents of the market town and in particular the retirement complex at Tyefield Place, want to know why the bridge - built by McCarthy & Stone over the River Brett - remains closed beyond the planned reopening date.
Frank Minns, mayor of Hadleigh, said that in his view McCarthy & Stone's team have "not been helpful at all" when asked about the reasons for the continued closure of the footbridge, which connects Pound Lane and the High Street with the town's popular River Walk.
A spokesman for McCarthy & Stone said: "We are conscious of residents' concerns regarding the temporary closure of the bridge, and we sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this has caused.
"We are working hard to ensure all the mechanisms are in place for the bridge to be opened again soon.”
"The footbridge was a requirement of McCarthy & Stone's planning consent for Tyefield Place," explained Mr Minns.
"It was opened in the summer of last year but by October it was all fenced off with signs saying it would reopen in December, but it is still closed."
- 1 Government plans at-home tablet to 'stop the virus in its tracks'
- 2 Helen McCrory was 'a meteor in our life' says husband Damian Lewis
- 3 Jailed in Suffolk: Why these criminals were put behind bars this week
- 4 Petition launched to fight planned sale of land at Belle Vue House and former pool
- 5 George Burley: Ipswich fans' dreams would have been shattered by a European Super League
- 6 Woman, 18, hit in the face and pushed during attempted street robbery
- 7 Change in pupil premium cut-off date 'cost Suffolk schools £1.1m'
- 8 The 20 places in Suffolk that recorded the most coronavirus cases this week
- 9 Cannabis plants worth £100,000 seized from Suffolk house
- 10 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
The footbridge provides a new way into the High Street for residents of the McCarthy & Stone development, but also gives access to anyone who uses the River Walk route.
Mr Minns added: "People want to know why it is still closed and what is going on with it.
Meanwhile, further down the river an 11ft sinkhole has been discovered, leading to a full closure of the footpath off Tinkers Lane.
The voids were established to be on the line of the old mill race from Toppesfield Mill, which was demolished in the 1950s following a fire.
Babergh District Council has closed the footpath for the foreseeable future while work is carried out to safely investigate the sinkhole.