Search

Three injured after accidental fire at Halstead chip shop

PUBLISHED: 18:45 11 September 2018 | UPDATED: 10:15 13 September 2018

Frefighters remained at the scene of the fire well after it was extinguished on Monday Picture: CHRIS FOX

Frefighters remained at the scene of the fire well after it was extinguished on Monday Picture: CHRIS FOX

Archant

A chip shop has been badly damaged and three people have suffered smoke inhalation following a blaze on Martin’s Road in Halstead.

The fire at the Halstead chippy was seen by neighbours in the village Picture: IAN ERIC GROVESThe fire at the Halstead chippy was seen by neighbours in the village Picture: IAN ERIC GROVES

Essex emergency services were called to a fire at the property just before 4.20pm on Monday, September 11.

The Martin’s Road Fish Bar was quickly extinguished by firefighters before 5pm after Essex Fire and Rescue mobilised a total of three engines, two from Halstead and one from Braintree.

Thankfully the fire crews were able to stop the fire spreading to the adjoining residential property before they used a high powered fan to clear smoke from the chip shop.

According to Essex County Fire and Rescue Service, the shop area, where the fire started, has been severely damaged by the flames.

The fish bar was attended by the Essex Fire and Rescue Service and extinguished before 5pm Picture: IAN ERIC GROVESThe fish bar was attended by the Essex Fire and Rescue Service and extinguished before 5pm Picture: IAN ERIC GROVES

Independent Financial Consultant Chris Fox, 42, a resident of the town, originally reported the incident to Essex fire.

He lives just across the road from the fish and chip shop,

He said: “At one point the front of our house was thick enough with smoke you struggled to see the road where the chip shop sits.”

He continued: “I was prepping for a client visit tomorrow when I smelt something amiss. I looked out the window, saw the shop starting to smoke and called the fire brigade.”

According to Chris the smoke was so thick he could hardly see the road Picture: CHRIS FOXAccording to Chris the smoke was so thick he could hardly see the road Picture: CHRIS FOX

“I haven’t looked directly at the building as its been cordoned off by the fire brigade.

“But there was quit a lot of smoke there.”

Three people have suffered from smoke inhalation due the incident, the cause was found to be an accidental cooking fire.

Most Read

Latest from the Sudbury Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists