Hundreds brave the wintry weather for the Adnams Southwold 10K Run
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds of hardy runners braved the wintry conditions this morning to take part in the annual Adnams Southwold 10K Run.
The seventh running of the event sold out all 830 registrations in a record 47 minutes this year, despite the prospect of cold and wet weather.
Concerns had plagued race organisers on Saturday over fears the starting point at the harbour could flood, but late on Saturday after updates from the harbour master, were able to confirm the high tide had passed and the run would go ahead as scheduled.
The top honours for the men went to Dominic Oliver, who finished first in a time of 33 minutes and 59 seconds, ahead of Jonathan Ling in second and Jim Last in third.
For the women, Laura Thomas was quickest, followed by Rowena Leary and Helen Thomsit.
Emma Hibbert from Adnams, said: “People feel quite heroic in the cold weather, so there was quite a lot of layering!
“This year was a bit different because we had a water station and a beer station, so runners enjoyed having a taster of Ghost Ship, and they were the first to try Ghost Ship crisps.”
- 1 Suspected drug dealer arrested after £2,000 worth of cannabis found
- 2 Person trapped in car after two vehicle crash near Sudbury
- 3 Belle Vue Park plans deferred following legal issue
- 4 How to see the last supermoon of the year this weekend
- 5 Police attending 'incident' near town centre
- 6 Belle Vue Park entrance plans backed by councillors
- 7 'Save water' Suffolk households urged as hosepipe bans imposed elsewhere
- 8 Thefts 'absolute priority' for Suffolk police after damning national report
- 9 Mobile library services suspended during heatwave
- 10 5 cheap and free things to do in Suffolk this weekend
This year’s nominated charities are the Sole Bay Care Fund and the Louise Hamilton Trust, as well as the traditional Adnams Charity, which helps dozens of local causes.
Many runners were also running for their own chosen charities.
Those interested in participating in next year’s event can sign up to the mailing list online at www.adnams.co.uk to find out more about when registration opens.