'I just want to do my bit' business owner pledges to clean up River Stour
- Credit: Simon Edney
A paddle boarder has vowed to tackle the beer bottles, drinks cans and other debris left floating in the River Stour by litter louts.
The Paddle Company, based at the Henny Swann, near Sudbury have signed up to the Surfers Against Sewage Million Mile clean initiative.
Owner of the Paddle Company, Richard Jiggins, said: "I have seen an increase in the amount of litter on our roads and in our parks. This seems to have increased since the pandemic started.
"The River Stour is basically my office, it is where I work. I want to look after it, the environment and the wildlife that live there.
"It is very sad. Some of the litter is dropped accidently. But we see loads of beer bottles, drink cans and plastic bottles. So people are consciously leaving litter behind.
You may also want to watch:
"As we all know this is really bad for our environment and the wildlife that lives there.
"I just want to do my bit to help."
- 1 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 2 AFC Sudbury v Colchester in the FA Cup to be shown live on BBC-2
- 3 Family pays tribute to 'gentle giant' who died in motorbike crash
- 4 Police officers praised for saving baby's life with CPR
- 5 Family pay tribute to former Suffolk headteacher who has passed away
- 6 Drugs, cash and weapons seized during police County Lines action week
- 7 5 things to do in Suffolk this weekend
- 8 'We should be making our streets safer' - debate on street light cuts
- 9 Police seek man who carried out 'lewd act' in Sudbury
- 10 Man in 70s taken to hospital after Sudbury collision
He will be paddling along collecting rubbish in a tub on his paddle board and is offering anyone who wants to help free use of the company's boards if they want to help.
Mr Jiggins added: "Initially it will be one evening a month for two hours. But I would like this to increase over time, plus even go and clean other rivers and surrounding areas.
"I have had a great response from my Instagram and Facebook posts."