Sudbury business offers to pay foodbank's rent for next three years
- Credit: Storehouse Team
A foodbank in Sudbury has been offered financial support for the next three years from a Sudbury-based company.
Daro Group has offered to meet the rent of the Storehouse Foodbank for the next three years to ensure the foodbank is able to keep helping those who need it most in the community.
Storehouse is a local community programme operated by Stour Valley Vineyard Church and is fully dependant on financial gifts to help keep its vital services running for local families and individuals in crisis.
The current operating costs for the foodbank are around £24,500 a year.
Vicky Leonard, Storehouse team leader, said: “As a service, our aim is to give people in food poverty a ‘hand up, not a hand out.’ And to ensure we reach those with the greatest needs, everyone is referred to our service by a trusted local agency.
You may also want to watch:
"We assess people’s financial situation and give emergency food, toiletries, household cleaners and even pet food.
“However, we know that feeding people is just one part of it. Therefore, we also direct people to local support groups who may be able to assist with the underlying causes of their food poverty."
- 1 Covid Support Buddies launch to tackle loneliness and give support
- 2 Russell Watson to return to Lavenham church for 'special' Christmas show
- 3 Football club's £750k new clubhouse to act as 'community hub' for village
- 4 All Covid rapid testing centres in Suffolk are shutting down
- 5 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 6 Teenage boys arrested in connection with charity clothes bank fire
- 7 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 8 Suffolk bus service improvements plan outlined by council
- 9 Hotel chain expecting 'record-breaking summer' ahead of reopening
- 10 Wet weather expected in Suffolk for second weekend in a row
Mervyn Douglas, managing director of Daro Group, said: “We are humbled by the tireless voluntary work Storehouse Foodbank does.
"We know this goes beyond the distribution of food in the local community and keeps many out of debt, helping them to a position of financial independence."