Fire crews tackling blaze at disused pub
PUBLISHED: 15:01 26 March 2020 | UPDATED: 21:42 26 March 2020
Fourteen fire crews have been called to tackle a large blaze which has broken out in a disused pub in a Suffolk village.
Suffolk Fire and Rescue crews were called to the Lion pub, on the A134 in Leavenheath, at 1.56pm on Thursday.
Crews from Woodbridge, Ipswich Princes Street, Hadleigh, Nayland, Sudbury, Clare, Haverhill and Colchester attended the blaze, though several appliances were stood down shortly after.
A fire service spokesman said on Thursday afternoon: “A building measuring 20m by 10m is well alight. Firefighters are currently at the incident tackling the blaze.”
The Lion pub closed abruptly in January 2018 and is not believed to have reopened since.
Fire engines blocked the road while firefighters extinguished the blaze, causing traffic delays for more than an hour on the A134.
Residents of Leavenheath and the surrounding villages reported hearing fire crews rush to the blaze on social media.
Lisa Bloomfield said on Facebook: “Just seen the Lion pub at Leavenheath is on fire. The fire brigade have just turned up.
“Hope it’s out before too much damage is caused and doesn’t spread to nearby houses. Stay safe everyone.”
Gillian Harvey added: “How sad. This is where my Dad was born, several generations of the family had the pub.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Sudbury Mercury. Click the link in the orange box above for details.