'Best weekend we've had this year!' Hot weather boosts Suffolk trade
- Credit: Sarah Lucy Brown
Sunny weather helped towns and local businesses "thrive again" after a long and difficult winter - with many reporting their busiest weekend so far.
Most shops were forced to close during the coronavirus lockdown - and even when restrictions were eased, the chilly weather kept many indoors.
But the Bank Holiday weekend has been a scorcher, with temperatures reaching as high as 23C in Santon Downham.
Seafronts were busy with walkers and sunbathers on the beach, with many cooling down by having a dip in sea and eating some ice cream.
A spokesperson for Weatherquest, the East Anglia-based forecaster, said on Monday: "Santon Downham reached 23C today and elsewhere it has been a bit cooler reaching 21 and 22C.
You may also want to watch:
"The coastal areas have been cooler and based on the forecast it was around 14C on the coasts."
Jessie Fetherby, owner of The Little Ice Cream Company, said: "It has been very busy, it's brilliant.
- 1 Yellow weather warning issued for thunderstorms and flooding for next week
- 2 8 of the best places for campervan holidays in Suffolk
- 3 Coronavirus 'growth rate' rises further in East Anglia
- 4 'You only get one education' - student never misses day of secondary school
- 5 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 6 Volkswagen campervan stolen from Milden property
- 7 It's coming home! Fans across Suffolk celebrate England's win
- 8 New Babergh cab fares proposed to replace those which could 'enable discrimination'
- 9 Delay to Freedom Day on June 21 'only sensible thing to do', says MP
- 10 Parts of Suffolk could be hotter than Morocco as UK set for warmest day
"When I was preparing in the morning, I saw a steady stream of cars coming into Felixstowe and I was thinking it is going to be very busy.
"We have had a queue all day which is perfect and it kinds of makes up for times gone by.
"It has been the best weekend we've had this year.
"It takes a while to find your feet again. It is almost like starting a brand new business.
"It's absolutely brilliant to see people back in Felixstowe. It is almost a sad place without all the people."
Warm weather is forecast again for tomorrow.