Classy Aveley prove too hot for AFC Sudbury as visitors take the points

PUBLISHED: 10:30 06 January 2019

Sudbury's wall trying to block Shad Ngandu's free kick Photo: PAUL VOLLER

Sudbury's wall trying to block Shad Ngandu's free kick Photo: PAUL VOLLER


AFC Sudbury 0 Aveley 2

Sudbury's Tom Dettmar under pressure from Jake Pitty Photo: PAUL VOLLERSudbury's Tom Dettmar under pressure from Jake Pitty Photo: PAUL VOLLER

AFC Sudbury’s fine winning sequence of four matches was halted by one of the Division’s promotion favourites, Aveley, who won this match comfortably, writes John Campany.

The visitors’ recent form had dipped, winning only one of their last five matches, but they more than compensated with this victory to move into fourth place, five points behind leaders Bowers & Pitsea with two games in hand.

Unlike the previous recent successes, on this occasion it was lesson for Mark Morsely’s side, in that, possession counts for little, unless there is ample penetration to test, what in this case was, a strong Aveley defence.

Indeed the first half saw Sudbury dominate with intricate passing movements, but often in a negative fashion, scarcely threatening their opponents who always looked dangerous on the break.

Nevertheless Paul Hayes and Reece Harris both had efforts on target without really troubling David Hughes in the visiting goal.

Aveley had the chance of going in front, against the run of play, in the 28th minute when Darryl Coakley tangled with Tom Richardson in the area, but Paul Walker made a fine save from Alexander Akroft’s spot kick.

However, five minutes later the home side gave the ball away cheaply and Tom Richardson took advantage, firing into the roof of the net from 15 yards – his 16th league goal of the season.

After the break Aveley looked more commanding and dominant putting slick moves together with pace and accuracy.

GOAL! Tom Richardson opens the scoring for Aveley Photo: PAUL VOLLERGOAL! Tom Richardson opens the scoring for Aveley Photo: PAUL VOLLER

The excellent Joe White made a fine block from Firmin Ngandu and Walker denied Akrofi and Andrew Freeman both shooting straight at the keeper.

In the 53rd minute Sudbury were again guilty giving the ball away carelessly, this time when on the offensive, and Aveley punished them with speedy reaction culminating with Freeman driving forward and shooting high into the net from the edge of the box.

At this point the home side were looking somewhat frustrated, and beaten, with no answer to salvage the match, against classy opponents.

Morsley made three substitutions, but this failed to ignite proceedings.

Young Mekhi McKenzie had a great chance, but dwelt too long and the opportunity was lost.

The majority of the 255 crowd shared in the side’s disappointment at the final whistle, but at least Sudbury retain sixth position in the table.

Referee Mr David Harrison.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Sudbury Mercury. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Sudbury Mercury