Did you play hockey? Here are 11 'teams of yesteryear'..... Are you or your club featured?
- Credit: Archant
We all love a team photo.
And hockey was especially good at getting everyone together for a photo opportunity.
I remember playing hockey at Northgate Grammar School, where I attended, long before I played football. The pitches were grass and bobbly and often, as a quick sprinter, I would chase a through ball, confident it was going to bounce over many defenders' hockey sticks to put me in free to score.
So, for hockey fans past and present, I hope you enjoy looking through a few I found in the Archant archives. One or two pictures have captions, but most don't unfortunately.
Feel free to e-mail any others you have and we can do this all over again another week!.... email@example.com
HALESWORTH ANGELS 1977
CULFORD GIRLS U-18s 1990
- 1 Fish and wildlife set to flourish following River Stour revamp
- 2 New cafe at popular Suffolk beauty spot
- 3 School unveils 'wonderful' new multi-million pound sixth form centre
- 4 Suffolk's Red Rooster music festival WILL go ahead over August Bank Holiday
- 5 Estate agents hail idea of extension to stamp duty cut as 'shot in the arm'
- 6 Plans for pizza chain to relocate into former clothes store welcomed
- 7 Suffolk events going ahead this summer which you can enjoy
- 8 Murder investigation into death of woman at Ipswich flat dropped
- 9 Plan for 28 homes in village gets go-ahead
- 10 Final decision made on Babergh council tax for 2021/22
IPSWICH & EAST SUFFOLK MEN, c.2013
IPSWICH INDOOR TEAM, 1975
NACTON HEATH SCHOOL, 1975
HADLEIGH SCHOOL, 1976
SUFFOLK GIRLS U-14s, 2011
FELIXSTOWE GRAMMAR SCHOOL, 1956/57
Now, after this first went on-line. I received this letter from Lesley McMaster (nee Shemming)
You recently featured various hockey team photographs in your publication. One of which was a school team from Felixstowe Grammar School in the 1950's, which my sister Sandra was in (nee Shemming - the blonde on the far right, back row). I sent her the piece and she has come back to me with the names of all the girls. I though you might be interested as will any of the girls who may still be around this area. My sister informs me that the photo was of the school team of 1956/57, and they would have been 5th form (whatever that is now! 'O' Level year).
Sandra is still well and fit, and lives in Fremantle, near Perth, Australia. She will be 80 this year. She continued to play hockey after school, at Hull University, then for Ipswich Ladies, and a short spell in the Suffolk County team before moving to Australia in 1969. She then played club hockey there for many years, until her 50th year. She only retired when she did, because her younger sister (me) had four teeth knocked out, also playing hockey, but that's another story! Her husband and three sons also played club hockey in Australia.
Felixstowe Grammar School Hockey Team, 1956/57: From left to right back row. Kathleen Hazeldine, Janet Robinson, Dawn Cavill, Mary Redman, Angela King, Diana Warner, Sandra Shemming.
Left to right front row: Pat Banham, Janet Trollope, Hillary Bellman, Jennifer Hill, Barbara Block.
CARLTON PARK LADIES, 2011
SUDBURY LADIES 2003